While concrete kitchen and bathroom vanity counters surged when the industrial look started trending several years ago, homeowners are now turning to quartz counters that look like concrete—instead of actual concrete. Why? Because quartz offers the positive qualities of concrete and more!
If you’re going for a contemporary industrial look (weathered wood, exposed brick, and exposed building systems and lighting fixtures), then concrete or concrete-looking countertops are the perfect design choice for your home. While concrete slabs were preferred over other materials for years, this new, better material—quartz—is now trending, and for good reason.
Concrete Countertops Pros and Cons
- Aesthetic – When homeowners choose concrete countertops, they get an authentic industrial look to their home. Its unique beauty lends a modern flair to your interior. You can really make a statement with it.
- Versatility – You can shape concrete into any dimensions to suit your preferences and your home’s features.
- Lifespan – Concrete counters deliver exceptional durability.
- Customization – Essentials like inlays or special finishes make concrete super customizable.
- Decorative elements – You can build in a decorative yet practical drainboard to personalize the look of your concrete.
- Simple to clean – Avoid abrasive cleaners, and use warm, soapy water to wipe your concrete countertops down. Occasionally use a PH cleaner that won’t harm your sealant.
- Weight – Concrete is heavy, so cabinets and flooring need to be strengthened to endure the extra weight.
- Installation – It’s laborious to install, requires time to cure, and is typically installed by an expert.
- Higher maintenance – Concrete is porous and requires sealing every 1-3 years.
- Repair needs – Hairline cracks can develop over time with concrete, and some cracks will require repairs.
- Heat sensitive – Putting hot pots and pans directly onto concrete countertops can damage them and their sealant.
- Sensitive sealant – Don’t cut directly on your concrete countertops, as a sharp knife could cut through the sealant and create weak spots.
- Difficulty removing – Concrete is durable and lasts for decades. So if you change your mind and crave a different look shortly after installing concrete, it’s tough to have it removed. It’s hard to have concrete uninstalled without damaging your cabinets beneath it.
6 Benefits of (Concrete Looking) Quartz vs. Concrete Countertops
If you want to enjoy concrete’s good qualities and eliminate its bad ones, quartz is a great solution. Quartz counters are often chosen for the concrete-looking aesthetic along with a variety of advantages including:
1. Desirable beauty
The raw, industrial look of quartz is the perfect complement to your modern kitchen design. Its stunning looks turns heads and adds a wow factor to your space.
2. Versatile design
Concrete gray quartz countertops come in a variety of colors and styles. Quartz can mimic any material, so it can deliver the look of concrete, marble, or granite.
3. Straightforward installation
Quartz countertops can be installed in a few hours and used immediately. In contrast, concrete counters take five to seven days to cure.
4. Reliable durability
Quarts resists heat and is extremely durable. It maintains its great looks for the longest period of time, making it an ideal option for your kitchen, bar, or bathroom countertops. Keep in mind that quartz is not completely immune to heat, so it’s important to use a hot pad when placing pots and pans on it.
5. Low maintenance
Quartz maintains its smooth, chic, attractive look even when it is used daily. It is non-porous, so it doesn’t need to be sealed, making its upkeep simple. It doesn’t absorb water and won’t attract stains. It is also tough to chip or scratch.
6. High-end quality
The luxurious look of quartz countertops delivers the high-end quality homeowners crave. And its price point is even more reasonable than concrete, giving you one more reason to choose it.
You Deserve the Home of Your Dreams
Now that we’ve uncovered the marked benefits of quartz and why homeowners are choosing it over concrete, it’s time to take the next step and make your vision a reality.
You’ve taken time to dream a while about the possibilities of implementing your desires with a home remodel. Now, browse our recent project portfolio for even further inspiration. Isn’t it time to cross the threshold of your wants and make them your daily experience? At Ryann Reed Design Build, we can help you with that. And why not now? You deserve it!